As a congregation and a denomination, we hold to the Westminster Confession as our statement of faith. Our Pastors, Elders, and those training for the ministry (including interns and licentiates) are required to take an oath of subscription to the whole system of doctrine contained in the Westminster Confession. Individual members of our congregation are not required to take this oath, membership is by profession of faith.
The Westminster Confession is quite a comprehensive document – it took a special commission several years to write it! Here is a briefer summary statement of what we believe:
- God is one being eternally existing in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- God is sovereign over all creation.
- The Bible containing the Old and New Testaments is the inerrant and inspired Word of God, the infallible authority by which He directs and governs all our activities.
- The Bible is fully authoritative and is the only perfect, sufficient and trustworthy guide for faith and life.
- Jesus Christ is Lord of heaven and earth.
- He is the eternal Word become flesh, conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary.
- He was humiliated, suffered and died on the cross to make atonement for sin.
- He rose bodily and is now exalted at the right hand of the Father.
- He will return in triumph and glory to raise the dead, judge all mankind and establish His eternal Kingdom.
If you have questions about what these points above mean, and what they mean for you, we are happy to meet with you and discuss your questions.